Home > Estate > Providing Security for your Dependants

Providing Security for your Dependants

By: J.A.J Aaronson - Updated: 30 Sep 2012 | comments*Discuss
Providing Financial Security Dependants

Ensuring that your dependants are provided for in a financial sense after your death is one of the key tenets of estate planning. There are a number of methods by which this can be achieved. In many cases, individuals are primarily concerned with providing for their spouse and, as such, it is common for wills to be written that simply pass all of the testator's assets to their partner. However, this is often not the most efficient method; while this will ensure some degree of financial stability for your spouse, dependants further down the line (such as your children) are likely to find that they are faced with a large tax bill.

Inheritance Tax and Trusts

Inheritance Tax (IHT) is currently levied at a flat rate of 40% on all assets above the threshold of £325,000. This threshold is known as the Nil-Rate Band. Assets passed from an individual to a surviving spouse upon the death of the former are exempt for IHT purposes, leading to the idea that a simple will such as the one outlined above is sufficient. However, this type of arrangement is ultimately ineffective from a tax point of view. While the first transfer of assets will not be taxed, if the estate still exceeds the Nil-Rate Band upon the death of the second spouse, the excess will be subject to IHT. This means that the next beneficiaries (generally children) will find that a significant portion of their inheritance is taken by the taxman.

Thankfully, this is relatively easy to combat. The establishment of a Nil-Rate Band Discretionary Trust allows the first spouse to arrange for their assets to be placed into trust upon their death. The surviving spouse will be able to maintain an interest in those assets, but they would be legally separate from their estate. In this way, these assets will not fall under the auspices of IHT upon the death of the second spouse.

Children and Other Dependants

Frequently individuals wish for some of their assets to pass not to their spouse but to other beneficiaries or dependants. Many grandparents, for example, may wish to leave a sum for grandchildren who are still minors. This can again be achieved in a tax-efficient manner through the use of a trust. It is possible to establish trusts in which the legal title to the assets (most commonly cash or stocks and shares) passes to a trustee upon the death of the settlor (that is, the individual establishing the trust).

When the intended beneficiary reaches a certain age, however, the assets will pass to them. In the meantime, it is also possible to arrange for any income generated by the assets to pass to the beneficiary; this is particularly useful in cases where grandparents are the primary carers of children. These types of trust are covered in more detail elsewhere on this site.

There are a number of ways in which financial provision can be guaranteed for your dependants. As can be seen, however, tax concerns should be at the forefront of your mind when deciding on the best course of action. It is important to look into a variety of solutions, and to take independent advice before reaching a decision. While this may represent an initial financial outlay, it is likely to increase the effectiveness of your chosen solution.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Nuts
    Re: What is a Bare Trust?
    My Father-in-law bought a property for my daughter and had it registered in her name.He has since died but left a letter stating that he…
    27 November 2018
  • Nkosazana
    Re: How to Trace Whereabouts of Trust Funds?
    I'm a south African,My was half Swazi born in SA,We got married in Swaziland ,We had serious differences that…
    26 November 2018
  • Pablo
    Re: Revocable and Irrevocable Trusts
    My niece and her husband have bought a flat and put their parents in their to live rent free as my niece owes her parents…
    24 October 2018
  • Professor Trelawny
    Re: What is a Bare Trust?
    I set up a bare trust for my young daughter and bought a buy to let property. My husband and I are both trustees of the bare trust.…
    23 October 2018
  • Amanda
    Re: How to Trace Whereabouts of Trust Funds?
    I have found out that I was left a trust fund many years ago. It was from my grandma many years ago..The rest of…
    17 September 2018
  • Doroto
    Re: Reasons for Establishing a Living Trust
    I would love to know the answer to the question posed by Stephen, namely, whether living trusts can be set up in UK…
    5 September 2018
  • Dee
    Re: Can Conditions Be Put Into Adult Children's Trust Funds?
    My mother passed away lin 2016. Leaving the her estate to me and making it clear to all my…
    31 August 2018
  • Budsalt
    Re: What is a Bare Trust?
    I live in a small block of 4 Flats which is a registered as a Freehold Company. Each flat owner is a director of the Company except 1…
    23 August 2018
  • Bumpy
    Re: What is a Bare Trust?
    Is this site still active? I put a question in on 13th August and then nothing. Thanks
    17 August 2018
  • Bumpy
    Re: What is a Bare Trust?
    A small plot of land of negligible value (say £1000) is held in Bare Trust with a standard Trustee and Sole Beneficiary. If a third…
    13 August 2018